AVID Culturally Relevant Teaching
The term culturally relevant teaching (CRT) was created by Gloria Ladson-Billings (1994), who says that it is “a pedagogy that empowers students intellectually, socially, emotionally, and politically by using cultural referents to impart knowledge, skills, and attitudes.” Geneva Gay (2010) further explains that CRT “uses the cultural knowledge, prior experiences, frames of reference, and performance styles of ethnically diverse students to make learning more relevant and effective.”
How Cultural Relevance Fits into the Framework
What Students Need
What Students Need
- Rigorous Academic Preparedness: In a culturally relevant learning environment, students must develop collaboration skills to build relational capacity and respect the diverse experiences of others.
- Opportunity Knowledge: Students in culturally relevant learning environments develop high expectations for themselves, allowing them to apply their learning, demonstrate knowledge and achieve success, and feel more in control of their future.
- Student Agency: Culturally relevant learning environments empower student voice and engender self-advocacy and leadership.
- Insist on Rigor: AVID encourages educators to consistently evaluate their teaching practices and adopt a willingness to change in order to address the ways in which their students learn.
- Break Down Barriers: AVID supports schools in recognizing that “achievement gaps” are often the product of gaps in opportunities and expectations and engaging in courageous conversations to address and close these gaps.
- Align the Work: AVID supports educators schoolwide in clarifying how culturally relevant teaching practices are imperative in the mission of college and career readiness for all students.
- Advocate for Students: An AVID Schoolwide culture informs culturally relevant teaching practices through a cultural lens, which recognizes that although learning structures differ across cultures, expectations should not be lowered.
- Overview of AVID's Alignment with Cultural Relevance
- Model Lessons and Videos
- Cultural Relevance Standards Alignment
- AVID and Cultural Relevance in Action
- Professional Learning